With an ever-increasing demand for low power wide area network solutions LoRA is emerging as the de-facto solution for most applications. This article serves to provide a brief overview of LoRA technology, use cases and a brief summary of available solutions brought to you by our Key Accounts and Technical Solutions Manager, Dean Sarelius.
What is LoRA..?
LoRaWAN is an open global standard for secure, carrier-grade IoT connectivity.
Across the globe, 67 major carriers have deployed LoRaWAN networks and 500 key technology companies have deployed more than 40 million sensors worldwide.
- Proprietary wireless technology developed by Semtech
- Operates on unlicensed ISM bands 433MHz (Europe), 470-510MHz (China), 868/915MHz (AU, NZ, North America)
- Long range and low power consumption
- Up to 5km range in urban environment, greater than 15km line of sight
- >10 year battery life capability
- Not susceptible to interference from Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GSM, LTE, etc
- Improved network capacity
- Connect more nodes, 100k to 300k nodes
Use Cases for LoRA
- Smart meter and Parking Meter aggregation via LoRA + 3G/4G gateway
- Fire and domestic alarm systems
- Home automation
- Street lighting and servicing
- Livestock monitoring and management
LoRA products and their features: