November 18, 2019
Nordic Semiconductor has launched the nRF5340, the world’s first wireless System-on-Chip (SoC) with two Arm® Cortex®-M33 processors. The new flagship SoC combines a superset of the most prominent nRF52® Series features, with more performance, memory and integration, while minimizing current consumption. It is the perfect choice for professional lighting, advanced wearables, and other complex IoT applications.
The application processor is optimized for performance and can be clocked at either 128 or 64 MHz. An optimized performance/power consumption ratio is achieved using voltage-frequency scaling. The application processor has 1 MB Flash, 512 KB RAM, a floating-point unit (FPU), an 8 KB 2-way set associative cache and DSP instruction capabilities. The network processor is clocked at 64 MHz and is optimized for low power and efficiency (101 CoreMark/mA). It has 256 KB of Flash and 64 KB of RAM.
The advanced nRF5340 radio supports Bluetooth® Low Energy, and is capable of all AoA and AoD roles in Bluetooth 5.1 Direction Finding, in addition to all Bluetooth 5 features, including Long Range. Mesh protocols like Bluetooth mesh, Thread and Zigbee are also supported.
The nRF5340 is a truly secure SoC. Trusted execution is implemented with Arm TrustZone®, while root-of-trust is implemented with the state-of-the-art Arm CryptoCell-312.
The nRF Connect SDK is the software development kit for the nRF5340 SoC, offering a complete solution that integrates the Zephyr RTOS, protocol stacks, application samples and hardware drivers.
The nRF5340 SoC release is accompanied by the nRF5340 PDK, a preview development kit containing everything needed for development on a single board.
- High-performance application processor
- 128/64 MHz Arm Cortex-M33 with FPU & DSP instructions
- 1 MB Flash + 512 KB RAM
- 8 KB 2-way set associative cache
- Fully-programmable, ultra-low-power network processor
- 64 MHz Arm Cortex-M33 with 2 KB instruction cache
- 256 KB Flash + 64 KB RAM
- A truly secure SoC
- Trusted execution with Arm TrustZone
- Root-of-trust with Arm CryptoCell-312
- Ultra-low-power 2.4 GHz multiprotocol radio
- Bluetooth 5.1 Direction Finding capable
- Bluetooth 5 Long Range
- Bluetooth mesh, Thread and Zigbee
- 3.2 mA in TX (0 dBm) and 2.6 mA in RX
- -97.5 dBm RX sensitivity
- Full range of digital interfaces with EasyDMA
- Full-speed USB
- 96 MHz encrypted QSPI for external memory
- 32 MHz high-speed SPI for displays and fast sensors
- 105 °C down to -40 °C extended operating temperature
- 1.7-5.5 V supply voltage range
- Versatile preview development kit for nRF5340 SoC
- Arduino Uno Rev3 compatible
- 2.4 GHz and NFC antennas
- SWF RF connector for direct RF measurements
- User-programmable LEDs(4) and buttons(4)
- SEGGER J-Link OB programmer/debugger
- Pins for measuring power consumption
- 1.7-5.0 V supply from USB, external, Li-Po battery or CR2032 coin cell battery
Nordic Semiconductor recently announced it has launched ‘nRF Connect for VS Code’. The nRF Connect extension pack allows developers to use the popular Visual Studio Code Integrated Development Environment (VS Code IDE) to develop, build, test, and deploy embedded...
Nordic enhances commercial support for nRF9160 SiP cellular IoT customers with launch of Cloud location services
Nordic Semiconductor recently announced the launch of its ‘nRF Cloud Location Services’. The Cloud-based product enables customers to access detailed, fast and accurate commercial location services for their nRF9160 System-in-Package (SiP)-powered cellular IoT...
The nPM1100 is a dedicated power management IC (PMIC) with dual-mode configurable buck regulator and integrated battery charger. It is designed as a complementary component to Nordic’s nRF52® Series and nRF53® Series System-on-Chips (SoCs) to ensure reliable power...
Stay Up to Date With The Latest News & Updates
Join Our Newsletter
Join our monthly newsletter for the latest updates in the electronics industry